WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Allied Arts council brings Elvis to town

Go down 
AuthorMessage
charmainejensenvoisine
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
charmainejensenvoisine

Number of posts : 2539
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Allied Arts council brings Elvis to town Empty
PostSubject: Allied Arts council brings Elvis to town   Allied Arts council brings Elvis to town Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 1:36 am

On Feb. 21, Elvis will be in the room — at St. Therese Catholic Church Social Hall - 900 Clingan Ridge Dr NW, Cleveland, TN at 7 p.m. for the Allied Arts Council Winter Event.

“Elvis” is Travis Ledoyt, an impersonator that performs the music of young, 50s and 60s-era Elvis. He performs with a full live band.

Ledoyt seeks to evoke the “something special that Elvis had that is unexplainable — a sort of charisma that charmed everyone.”

The first time Ledoyt’s resemblance to Elvis was brought to his attention was in high school, when he “slicked back” his hair for a school event.

A documentary of Elvis performing on TV is what sparked Ledoyt’s interest in the music.

“I went out and bought the Sun Records collection of Elvis songs. I played the CD every day. If they had been records I would have worn them out. The following Christmas my father bought me a karaoke machine with an Elvis tape. I practiced on it so much that when the school talent show came around my friends talked me into entering it,” said Ledoyt.

His practice with the karaoke machine led to a performance in a local talent show. Soon a band formed, and they played a Rockabilly Festival in Jackson, where LeDoyt met members of Elvis’ original band and signed a manager.

An exciting result of signing a manager was a photo shoot for the New York Times where LeDoyt was photographed as Elvis in the Sun Records recording studio in Memphis.

“I think a lot of the appeal (of the show) is the energy of a live show and whatever it was that worked in the 50s seems to still work today,” said Ledoyt.

Ledoyt’s own good looks an charisma make it possible for him to portray Elvis in an era most impersonators seem to shy away from, preferring to hide behind the light shows, lamé, sunglasses and sideburns of later eras. Ledoyt’s show is full of the rollicking rockabilly that made America fall in love. The infectious fun brings back memories for those who saw Elvis during this time, and the youthful spirit is enough to get young toes tapping. Performances are filled with classics such as “Hound Dog,” “Let Me Be Your Teddy Bear,” “Jailhouse Rock,” “Love Me Tender” and “All Shook Up” are convincingly portrayed by Ledoyt and his band in shows that last for hours.

Since 2004 Ledoyt’s career has included national and international performances. He has a tour to England and Scotland scheduled for the upcoming year.

He has moved from Greenfield, Ma., his hometown, to Nashville. From Nashville he has been able to work on a personal recording project: this five-year project is more evocative of the Beatles than Elvis, though his influence can be found as well, according to Ledoyt.

Tickets for Ledoyt’s Feb. 21 performance can be purchased at the Bradley/Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, 423-472-6587.
Back to top Go down

Allied Arts council brings Elvis to town
Page 1 of 1