WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Untrue stories about Elvis.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2007-07-28

Untrue stories about Elvis. Empty
PostSubject: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 10:14 pm

With Elvis being , quite possibly, the most famous entertainer there has ever been, its gonna happen when certain actors/entertainers will tell stories that may or may not be true.
Its great to hear certain stories but how true are they??
Lets start off with a few.
At Madison Square Garden in '72, its rumoured that a list of stars were there to see Elvis.
It was rumoured that John Lennon was there but research has revealed that he never was.In fact, in a 1975 interview he says that he has never seen Elvis on stage.
David Bowie was also rumoured to have been there but he was off on a European tour in June'72.
George Harrison,Paul Simon as well as a few others were definitely there.
At Elvis' funeral, it was rumoured that Burt Reynolds and John Wayne visited Graceland but that now appears to have just been rumours.
James Brown and Ann-Margret were there.
The singer Meatloaf recently said that whilst he was performing in The Rocky Horror Show in '74, Elvis came to visit him backstage and congratulated him on a great show.
Now, Meatloaf is known to tell lies to the press and its very unlikely this happened.Marty Lacker cant recall Elvis ever seeing this show or Jerry Shilling,Red or Sonny West, quoting that Elvis wouldnt have never seen a show like that.
One of the most famous stories which has proved untrue is the one which was printed a few days after Elvis died by Diana Dors claiming they were lovers in '57 and that they went to Mexico and smoked grass( i guess its easy to come out with a story like that when the guy you was with had just died and cant back the story up!!!).
To be fair, some peoples memories fail them.DJ Fontana once said that 'Kissin Cousins' was one of Elvis' first films.
Gordon Stoker from the Jordanaires said once that Elvis did 'All Shook Up' in 1 take but records show that Elvis did 10 takes of this to get it right.

Even today papers like the Daily Mail are writing made-up stories about Elvis' daughter Lisa Marie about her putting on weight and comparing her to her Dad which has forced her to announce she is pregnant and quite rightly so, she is now taking libel action against this paper.
Incidently, i read an article in the Daily Mail about a girlfriend of Spike Milligan, Barbara Whatley saying that she went to Hollywood for a screen test for an Elvis film and Elvis asked her to marry him.
Is it possible they met? Yes but unlikely.
Elvis was in Hollywood around that time but on vacation with his friends after filming finished on Spinout, plus he didnt see or pick the female co-stars for his films, especially then.Also which makes this story unlikely is Elvis was waiting for Priscilla to turn 21 so he could marry her the following year.
She may have been one of 100s of lovers Elvis had in his life but the only actress Elvis was ever serious about was Ann-Margret so i dont believe this story either.
Im sure there are lots more stories just like these ones ive mentioned.

Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rockin T
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rockin T

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 10:22 pm

You could write him half a dozen different lives with the amount of stories that circulate about him.
Some of them make me smile though they are patently untrue though some can make you angry. Irrational I know as I didn`t know the guy but you tend to feel a little protective over his memory.
I know for a fact that the Diana Dors story is untrue as my dad used to know Alan Lake and he said Diana made the story up A) for publicity and B) because Elvis once knocked her back.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Rockin T,
That is normally the case.

Stella Stevens is an actress that has said some nasty things about Elvis over the years and fans believe that this is the reason, that Elvis gave her a knock back.He obviously like Laurel Goodwin, judging by his reaction in the scene from Girls!Girls!Girls! when they are filming the song 'The Walls Have Ears'.
Back to top Go down
Rockin T
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rockin T

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 10:50 pm

fact is that Elvis didn`t make as much of Stevens as she would have liked so she starts throwing around the unprofessional actor stories and Elvis being drunk when he sang Return to sender. she has always come across as a bitter person through the years. Guess it`s because she never managed to rise above bit-part actress status.
now laurel Goodwin was another matter. There was obvious chemistry there.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 11:07 pm

Yeah, there have been some great true stories of Elvis' co-stars like Juliet Prowse when she was filming GI Blues with Elvis and was dating Frank Sinatra at the time.Elvis and Juliet nearly got caught out when Sinatra came to visit them.
Joan Blackman who co-starred with Elvis in Blue Hawaii and Kid Galahad, Elvis took quite a dislike to her and even today , Joan Blackman refuses to talk about Elvis in interviews.

One of Elvis' favourite co-stars was Shelley Faberes who was in 3 films.Not sure if they were linked romantically.Shelley was married to producer Lou Alder at the time but they split up in '66.

Incidently, in the brilliant book by Peter Guralnick called 'Careless Love' he writes that whilst filming Spinout in Feb' 66 with Shelley Faberes, Priscilla heard rumours about how well Elvis and Shelley got on and decided to go out to Hollywood and meet her which Elvis wasnt too happy about.
In fact, when filming finished in Feb ' 66, Both Elvis and Priscilla spent the next 2 months together with the rest of Elvis' entourage in Los Angeles and flew back to Memphis around the middle of April then spent the next two months in Memphis going to the cinema,days out etc so this British Actress Barbara Wheatley claiming that around that time Elvis asked to marry her cant be true.
Another story exposed as a lie.

Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rockin T
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rockin T

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 11:13 pm

I guess if the rumours about nancy Sinatra are true then Elvis may just have scored a double whammy over old blue eyes.

Wasn`t aware of the problem with Joan Blackman though.
Back to top Go down
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am

Guys have really enjoyed this topic so far. Its hard to know what to believe these days and is great when you see the proof to put it to bed whether it was true or not.
Has anyone else heard any stories about Elvis and do not know if they are true or not? Why not share them and see if we can uncover the truth together Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
I think its true but would love to know if Elvis hated his recording being 'sliced' and liked to do a full take and did it untill it was correct. Dont know why I wanna know, just do Razz Razz Razz scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com
Sophie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Sophie

Number of posts : 2545
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm

My Dad used to know Alan Lake too...I cant say in all honesty he was a pleasent man.
As for stories in one paper Patrick Swayze has months to live in another he has days. I mean...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Untrue stories about Elvis.   Untrue stories about Elvis. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Untrue stories about Elvis.
Page 1 of 1