WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

American Trilogy Racist ??????

Go down 
+9
jason
tutt
Sean
mac-elvis
charmainejensenvoisine
Dean-Mack
Myke Foard
dave dynamite
MichaelAMemphis
13 posters
AuthorMessage
elvis.aron.presley
Walking in Memphis
Walking in Memphis
elvis.aron.presley

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-09-15

American Trilogy Racist ?????? Empty
PostSubject: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 10:36 am

Hello everyone and a very Happy New Year to you all, sorry first of all, my PC crashed lost all my contacts, finally got the site I like, hope everyone is OK. Anyway on Elvis' birthday BBC Radio Nottingham asked me to go for a chat about being a Tribute etc. During the interview a lady rang in from Nottingham and told us she sings Elvis on karaoke every now and then. She said on air that whenever she sings American Trilogy she more than not gets called racist or more to the point qoute: you racist bitch !!! Now I as I suppose many of you do, sing this song at every show, I have never had anything other than great applause for this fantastic song. Anyone else had any experiences with this??? Or has anyone any comments regarding this statement she has bought up ?? regards Alan
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvistributeshow.co.uk
Myke Foard
Knocking On Gracelands Door
Myke Foard

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 10:53 am

No I have not had a bad reaction to this sung, even had the Black comunity love it. However, as it is made up from the Battle Hymn of the Republic (Dixie Land) I can see where it can come from:

'Oh I Wish I Was
In a Land of Cotton
Old Times are not forgotten . . . '

This was sung by the Southern soldiers who, it must be remembered, were fighting to keep slavery amongst a lot of other things. It is also thought racist in some places if you fly the 'Stars & Bars' rebel flag for just the same reason.

I don't say that it is racist as if you have the song as a whole, it is realy a song of hope and unity, but you can never tell what folk are going to react like!!
Back to top Go down
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 am

Happy New Year to you!!!

How is the song racist?
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.UKELVIS.CO.UK
elvis.aron.presley
Walking in Memphis
Walking in Memphis
elvis.aron.presley

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 am

Yes I know were your coming from Myke about the deep south thing, but as you say more of a powerful unity ballad, never really gave it any thought, you sing or listen to the song not really analizing the lyics, anyway she had major abuse about it. Alan
Back to top Go down
tutt
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
tutt

Number of posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 am

It's just a song for gods sake, everything is down to rasicm nowadays, you have got to watch everything you say & you cant even have a union jack up in yer own garden, what r u supposed to sing, those r the words, & whenever i am out with Mike Shelby, the 2 most popular songs people request r 'Suspicious Minds' & 'American Trilogy' with 'The Wonder Of You' a close 3rd
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rick.laws.31
Dean-Mack
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Dean-Mack

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Racist MY ARSE
Back to top Go down
http://www.deanmack.co.uk
dave dynamite
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
dave dynamite

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 pm

i get asked for this song nearly every gig , scratch scratch scratch
dave dynamite...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/davedynamite1
Myke Foard
Myke Foard

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 6:21 pm

tutt wrote:
...... you cant even have a union jack up in yer own garden, ......

No you can't Tutt, coz there is no such thing, it is the Union Flag not the Union Jack!!! jawdrop
Back to top Go down
Dean-Mack
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Dean-Mack

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Myke Foard wrote:
tutt wrote:

No you can't Tutt, coz there is no such thing, it is the Union Flag not the Union Jack!!! jawdrop

Its only called a union jack when it is displayed on a boat
Back to top Go down
http://www.deanmack.co.uk
charmainejensenvoisine
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
charmainejensenvoisine

Number of posts : 2539
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:36 am

This is really sad to say the least particularly now of all day's that one would see the song "American Trilogy" as RACIST.

In October I was at a Showcase in Montreal Quebec Canada of 10 great ETA's, and I live just outside of Toronto. At this showcase, there was one ETA performing at it, and he was from the USA. This ETA was singing The American Trilogy... the showcase took place the entire weekend at a Canadian Legion.. well to get to the point of the song...

When this ETA "Gary Elvis Britt" was singing the song "The American Trilogy"...

Everyone in the room stood up with respect and honor to all the Canadian/American soldiers that are out in the middle east fighting for our honor...

All stood up (Canadians and Americans) that were in attendance at this show,
all put their hand over their heart respectfully while he was singing... I look around the room, and there were many in tears..... In Canada and the USA this is a very, very powerful and honorable song... it touches us deeply (particularly if it is sung right and well)....

Hope what I say makes sense... there is absolutely NOTHING racist about this song... and yes it is about "UNITY" particularly now when we have soldiers from all over the world that are out in the middle east fighting for our honor and freedom..

Have people no pride or respect for their own countries soldiers or flag?? ( I have to wonder about this lady that called in, very very sad to say the least)...

Charmaine
Back to top Go down
mac-elvis
mac-elvis

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 am

alan sir when she asked you this why did you not ask her why she thought this sir and then maybe you could have told her there and then maybe shes been told the wrong thing about the song or something but if i was on the radio and they called in with that comment i honest would have started to sing it and then asked her to stop me at what part of the song it is bad but i for one will never stop singing it in my shows i love it o i wish i was in dixie away away in dixieland i.ll take my stand lmao read that hen lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvismckenzie.4t.com
Myke Foard
Myke Foard

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm

As I said Charmaine, the true meaning in the song is of unity. But as with everything, some people will always see what they want to see, will we ever be able to change that? No I think not. But I will continue to sing this beautifull song to the best of my meagre ability!
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 1:47 pm

elvis.aron.presley wrote:
on Elvis' birthday BBC Radio Nottingham asked me to go for a chat about being a Tribute etc. During the interview a lady rang in from Nottingham and told us she sings Elvis on karaoke every now and then. She said on air that whenever she sings American Trilogy she more than not gets called racist or more to the point qoute: you racist bitch !!! Now I as I suppose many of you do, sing this song at every show, I have never had anything other than great applause for this fantastic song. Anyone else had any experiences with this??? Or has anyone any comments regarding this statement she has bought up ?? regards Alan

Next time anyone thinks that the song 'An American Trilogy' is racist should realise a few things they dont obviously know.
Firstly, the song is a mixture of 3 songs.

'Dixie', was the unnoffical anthem of the Confederate Army(South) during the Civil War.
'All My Trials' which is connected to black gospel music.
'The Battle Hymn Of The Republic' which was the song used by the Union Army(North) during the Civil War.

All 3 songs combined which make up 'An American Trilogy' are in fact a tribute to all the American soldiers killed in that awful Civil war and its in no reference 'Racist'.
Anyone who thinks that does not know anything about the songs origins.
Back to top Go down
tutt
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
tutt

Number of posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Dean-Mack wrote:
Myke Foard wrote:
tutt wrote:

Its only called a union jack when it is displayed on a boat

Ok guyz thank you, i doesn't matter union jack, flag, i know & you knew what i meant, & whichever you call it, you still can't put the bugga up I rule!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rick.laws.31
jason
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
jason

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 pm

lets not let the bluddy PC brigade get hold of this as it will something else they spoil and interfere with. ive never had any problems with this song as being racist and im sure when Elvis sang it it was never racist either lets also remember that the sweet inspirations were black laddies and he would never do anything to offend those lovely backing singers now would he?
Back to top Go down
elvis.aron.presley
Walking in Memphis
Walking in Memphis
elvis.aron.presley

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:59 am

I think guys and gals you are all correct, I think and the radio station in question agrees that the lady that rang was only on to stir the s*** a little. The radio station posts its post programs on there website, the only one not available was that afternoon show. As one of you said, political correctness gone even madder.
I will keep singing the song with pride anyway and I hope you all will to as one preson said RACIST MY ARSE, We put my friend. regards Alan Moore
Back to top Go down
EDDIE P
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
EDDIE P

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:15 am

good grief Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.eddiepmemoriesshow.com
Rockin T
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rockin T

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:51 pm

God alone only knows what she makes of Little White Bull then! jawdrop
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 4:55 pm

I just loooooove the song!!!!!
And the crowed is always entousiastic too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Trilogy Racist ??????   American Trilogy Racist ?????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Trilogy Racist ??????
Page 1 of 1