WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Humour in your shows....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Garry J Foley
Rocking in Lauderdale
Rocking in Lauderdale
Garry J Foley

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Humour in your shows.... Empty
PostSubject: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 am

Hi Guy's,

Just a quick question to you all...

Do any of you use a bit of humour in your shows? I don't mean telling the odd joke or two, I mean actually incorporating some real humour for your audience.

For example, I remember watching Paul Larcombe's showcase at Blackpool last year (absoultely fantastic) and half way through, the start of YMCA came on but stopped just as the singing would have started and then went into another song.

The reason is, is that I do an Italian restaurant, and I'm not a comedian so jokes do not come natually but I do include a couple of little humour pieces which go down well, but I need to think of new things to try and keep it fresh.

Another example is Marshall King. For those who have seen his 'restaurant/cabarat act' will know that he's a natual comedian and has his audience in stitches at times.

What's your thoughts guy's....(and gal's Smile....any help appreciated.

Garry
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisshow.co.uk
Rossvegas
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rossvegas

Number of posts : 1073
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 3:39 pm

i think as a ETA its dificult to add humor unless its something thats happened at that exact moment as thats were most of elvis's humor came from as it was unplanned it was funnier ie when his microphones didnt work and he grabbed all of them or when he was kissing the girls and went to kiss the guy things like that are great when they happen,
as for when i am doing cabaret non elvis i find your humour depends on the people in the crowd as if no one laughs your confidence is gonna take a wack and i find if you plan to say something funny it dont always come out right lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

ahhhh you put that very well Ross, I agree its normally the unexpected unplanned things that happen that a joke/giggle can be made from.. And your so right about the audience a lot depends on them and if they are open to same. Garry I think if you can its good to get the audience involved in the show, let them have a little sing on the mike etc.. that normally stirs up a bit of jovality Smile Chris does that in his show, more often than not he hands the mic over to someone who unbeknown to him can actually hold a tune and that in itself can give an opening to a few litttle jokes, stuff like trust me to pick the good singer, gonna put me out of a job etc... it dont seem funny when writing it but at the time it can be very very funny I have seen Chris before now when this has happened hand over the mic and say well this is making my job a lot easier and go and sit down with the audience pick up someones peanuts and start munching them that kind of thing makes them chuckle... One time this guy was sooooo good Chris was laughing with him about it and kept going back to let him have a sing song and a duet with him etc and because the guy was responsive and playing along to it it made it become very funny at one point he joked and said I think this is now the Brian show, see ya and headed towards the door and out into the night in his jumpsuit, everyone was roaring with laughter.. it may not sound very funny when I type it but when it happened it was just so funnyyyyyy... Chris is not like a comedian and cant really tell a joke I dont think I have ever heard him tell a joke but he will slip in little jokey things and one liners to fit the situation, like when hes done polk salad and fighting for his breath lol pipe up for someone to call an ambulance just stuff like that. Or if something is relevant in the news he may make a little jokey quip towards that - just those little things kinda relax people I think and they become more receptive to joining in with the fun once they do your well away Smile
Back to top Go down
Elvis in Kent
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Elvis in Kent

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Guys
I'm a great believer in pitching your show according to the venue and the audience.
Elvis did have fun on stage, but he was Elvis and a bit like Sinatra or Dean Martin he could almost say anything remotely funny and his audience would go with him and laugh.
The secret is to be able to judge your audience quickly and think on your feet.
If I'm doing a theatre show I generally stay in character but still add the sort of humour Elvis may have used albiet more updated. Theatre audience tend to enjoy that as they don't really want you to stray too far from Elvis but they don't want to sit and watch someone who is clearly affected and totally self indulgent.
With much of my other work, I do normally introduce humour and entertainment into the set.
The reality is - you are not Elvis - you are playing a well rehearsed and genuine tribute to him. I doubt that he would have appeared in front of a 150 audience at a golf club, social club or restaurant in his concert years so that has to be taken into account.
Most of your audience will range between those that quite like Elvis to the those that are real fans (they are the ones that probably don't enjoy tributes that much but can't resist going to see them!).
My point is, with all that considered, I do introduce humour into the show.
First rule is nothing detrimental about Elvis - it is entirely hyprecritical and wrong to mock the man and bite off the hand that feeds you. Secondly it needs to be introduced slowly and build it through the show with a good balance of sincerity as well as the humour. I even end up doing a few Tommy Cooper jokes as I have found if you revert to Tommy's voice - you can get away with almost anything.
Lastly, one of the main comments I get from my audiences is that they enjoyed the Elvis songs but what they really liked is that I didn't take the whole thing too seriously - they were entertained.
That, I think, is the secret of being asked back!
Just my thoughts
Neil J Duncan
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisinthebuilding.com
Garry J Foley
Rocking in Lauderdale
Rocking in Lauderdale
Garry J Foley

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 am

Thank you

I agree with all your comments. Neil, your absoultley right about the venue & audience. And it's good to know that I'm doing pretty much similar to other ETA's.

When I do my show I do have just a little bit of subtle humour, and probably on a similar lines to Chris, michelle....but again agreeing with Neil....it's about weighing up the audience.

However, I do very much try to stay in 'elvis character' especially for the more serious numbers...trilogy etc,...but the posting was just to try and get a feel of what other performers are doing in their shows in a certain enviroment.

When it comes to theatre / stage performances, then obviously that has a different approach again.

I have done a couple of stage shows with Willard Ford and these have been a completely different show, to doing, say a restaurant. More true to Elvis on stage...(not that I'm not true to him in my restaurant/party shows Smile

Thanks again for your comments.

As a footnote...and as I've only been an ETA for a few years now...it has been a real help for me personnally to actually go and watch other ETA's. Not to copy in any way...because we all have our own style...but just to see how other people put on a show (and have a fab night in the process....)

I just wish I didn't live as far away from most of you guy's lol...

If I lived any further south...I'd be in the water! Humour in your shows.... Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisshow.co.uk
val w (Kinky Boots)
Top Mod Of The Week
Top Mod Of The Week
val w (Kinky Boots)

Number of posts : 4667
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 9:22 am

I agree with everyone Garry. I think a bit of humour in the show helps as it probably breaks the ice in the venue and yourself. I think it also helps people who might not be Elvis fans but come with friends or family to enjoy it also that bit more. I know when people have come to shows with me, have said they enjoyed the humour part aswell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Humour in your shows....   Humour in your shows.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Humour in your shows....
Page 1 of 1