WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Elvis and family

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HuwyBlue
Walking in Memphis
Walking in Memphis

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-16

Elvis and family Empty
PostSubject: Elvis and family   Elvis and family Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:08 pm

With the anniversary of Elvis' death so fresh in my mind I kept thinking about what I was doing when I heard the fateful news. This is my true story. Please read it and tell me your story.

Elvis and Family

It was the 17th August 1977. I was fifteen years old and standing in my older sister’s kitchen in Diss, Norfolk, England. That morning I had crawled out of my bed, like any other non-school day, and made my way to the bathroom. After trying not to splash the toilet seat, being too lazy to lift it, I took a long searching look into the mirror situated just above the sink. This was in the futile hope of a better reflection coming back at me than the day before; as always I was destined to be disappointed. My skin could quite easily have been the moon’s surface a few million years before it had finally settled down! I then plunged head first into a bowl of cold water after coming up with the theory that if my whole face was less red my spots would not be so obvious. Instead my face just took on the appearance of a dried out prune, not the look I was hoping for. Then I heard it on the radio ELVIS WAS DEAD! He had died on the 16th August at 3.30 pm CST. This is where you need to understand something, I was a big Elvis fan, a very big Elvis fan, I mean fanatical. I lived and breathed him, my bedroom walls were like a shrine so needless to say I did not take this news at all well! In fact I was shell-shocked, I did not know what to do or even say. Under normal circumstances my lack of speech may well have gone completely unnoticed; me being a boy of fifteen who had a whole range of grunts at his disposal. However here I was, finding myself at my heavily pregnant sister’s house. Not an unusual situation for we were and still are very close, so as a teenager I was round there more often than not. Unable to suffer in silence any longer the words came spilling out of my mouth and flying from my lips, “ELVIS IS DEAD!” Her reply was not one of comfort or even concern for my loss. It was pure and simply a declaration, “I think my waters have broken!” Coming to the conclusion that maybe she had not heard me the first time I repeated my earth breaking news once more “BUT ELVIS IS DEAD!” The BUT was bound to make all the difference. Once more her response was disappointing, “Huwy, my waters have broken!” Was she trying to turn this into some kind of competition or was she just trying to wind me up? Then it hit me, my excuse is I was still growing and it took those few extra seconds for one more brain cell to completely form to allow me to get it. My grief very quickly turned into an inner panic. Don’t get me wrong, I love my sister but watching her give birth on the kitchen floor would surely have damaged me for life! Fortunately I was given a reprieve, in time I would see a birth and all it entailed but that’s another blog! On the morning of the 18th August my first niece was born. This was to be a life changing moment, not just because I had become an uncle for the first time but it was the start of a new generation; leading to four nieces and five nephews from my two sisters and my own children, two girls and two boys. Many are now grown up and some have gone on to have their own families. Still from time to time we all get together and encourage, joke or comfort each other; whatever is needed at the time but always there and never judging. Elvis inspired me as a young boy and made me want to be just like him. We all need heroes in our lives, someone to look up to or just believe in. It could be your father, mother or a person far removed from your day to day life, like Elvis. It may even be a fictional character like those in my novel ‘The Mark of the Gate’. It does not matter who because it inspires and gives you faith in others. I now look at my ever growing family and feel a pride in belonging, for they are now MY heroes. With time I have learned that the people who love us, and we love back, let us define ourselves. What greater gift is there than belief?

http://www.hmhowes.com
Back to top Go down
Sophie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Sophie

Number of posts : 2545
Registration date : 2007-08-02

Elvis and family Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis and family   Elvis and family Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm

You know something-thats the sweetest and most lovleist story ive ever seen written. Id like to know more about your book too. Im so happy you posted on the forum today. xoxo
Back to top Go down
HuwyBlue
Walking in Memphis
Walking in Memphis

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-16

Elvis and family Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis and family   Elvis and family Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 7:13 pm

I am pleased you enjoyed my story. As a writer you can never hope for more than a favourable reaction and maybe to give someone a smile or something to think about. In this case, being a true story and close to my heart, it was extra nice to get feedback. My novel is a fantasy/sci-fi entitled 'The Mark of the Gate' but for more information and some short story samples please visit my website.
http://www.hmhowes.com

I hope you enjoy. Thank you again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elvis and family Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis and family   Elvis and family Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elvis and family
Page 1 of 1