WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whats a fair price for gigs?

Go down 
+5
EDDIE P
TimDudleyETA
TCBinaflash
pauldb38
Lorna
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jason
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
jason

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Whats a fair price for gigs? Empty
PostSubject: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 8:15 pm

hi everyone. I've done a few gigs now but now i want to take it to another level. so far i've just teamed up with which ever dj's are there on the night but now i really want to get my own sound equipment and a more professional look. I just want an idea of what to charge. I don't want to rip anybody off but i don't want sell myself short either. I haven't made a great deal of money so far as most of my gigs have been charity gigs or for family,friends, friends of friends or word of mouth if you know what i mean.I really want to try and push it further now. i'd be really greatful for any feedback on this. thanks..jase.
Back to top Go down
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 am

I dont think you should charge any less than £150 but that is pretty minimal.
Pubs dont pay as much as private functions. Im sure some of the guys can give you a push in the right direction either on the forum or via pm

Good luck with it all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com
pauldb38
Admin
Admin
pauldb38

Number of posts : 3782
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 10:46 am

Most pubs usually start from £250 but think around 300 is more the norm up north , but it depends on what your offering as well.

Paul.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.co.uk
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Here lots of time's you can take the 'Door-money' that means that you can get all the money the receive when de audionce comes in the door!
If they pay around 10Pnds, and there only show up 20 people, you still have an ok amound, but Johnny had it quit sometime, that he made around 7 or 800pnds. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
TCBinaflash
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TCBinaflash

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Essie
so true i would advise forget clubs and pubs i would recomend hiring your own venue and sell tickets at least you know they are paying to see you and you will be heard. lots of pubs and clubs could not careless who is singing until they have catched up on there weekly gossip and sunk a few pints, and all you hear is talking over someone who is singing there hearts out you can hire small venues until you etablish a fan base then get larger.If you are good then that would not take very long and as essie says £10 a pop or even £7 your fee would be the limit on how many seats it holds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisforeveryone.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:41 am

Hiring your own venue is a great idea, however you might have to do a good 6 months worth of gigs to build up a fan base. Organizing your own gig can become expensive in regard to sorting out tickets, advertising and such. It can also be an expensive gamble if not enough people turn up. We live in quite a price sensitive world, and if people are handing over £10 to see you, they will expect quite a show, as entertainment is available for free in months pubs and clubs.
Not to say it isn't a good idea, just sounding a note of caution.

Good Luck

Martin
Back to top Go down
Sophie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Sophie

Number of posts : 2545
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:52 am

I think that depends on how good your show is. And I dont mean that in a non positive way. It depends on how many people you employ and where you work...ie Theatre or Pub/club.

As for someone going to see an ETA ...i wouldnt pay more than £10.
Sophie. xx
Back to top Go down
TCBinaflash
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TCBinaflash

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Patch_It_Up wrote:
Hiring your own venue is a great idea, however you might have to do a good 6 months worth of gigs to build up a fan base. Organizing your own gig can become expensive in regard to sorting out tickets, advertising and such. It can also be an expensive gamble if not enough people turn up. We live in quite a price sensitive world, and if people are handing over £10 to see you, they will expect quite a show, as entertainment is available for free in months pubs and clubs.
Not to say it isn't a good idea, just sounding a note of caution.

Good Luck

Martin

Hello Martin
I see your side of the coin too but tickets are cheap to print we all have printers these days so print your own advertising loads of free ways to advertise your local paper will run something free for you, if your a local lad, and you can even offer tickets to a certain amount for a comp, radio list yourself on the whats on Guide too thats also free but yes this all depends on ones talent as they will expect a great show for a door price.
Pubs and clubs yes are free but to me personally they also could not give to brass monkeys what you sound like or perform like either so then it just comes down taking the money and run.
Plus most pubs and clubs expect 3 X45 Mins sets well in my area they do and i am on Entertainment Committee for my social Club.
There is a gamble to this but work hard and promote hard and you will get there not every show is going to be a sell out but some shows will be better than others if you think you have talent and belive in yourself then its possible but i would experiment with door price 1st shoot low to start then raise as you go on in your career.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisforeveryone.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:29 pm

i do a few pubs but try to avoid them if i can as they want you on for about 3 hour's in all for very little money ,had a call off one today and they said they would'nt pay anymore than £80 if you think they couldn't hire a pa system for that you can guess what i said.I do a gig at a resturant on a fairly regular basis and they pay me £350 for a 2hour show.
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Pete,

That's a redicoules amound, that the pub wanted to pay you!
Is this what you do in the pub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyuhsE2fdJI&feature=related
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:14 am

lol! lol! lol! just like that
Back to top Go down
TimDudleyETA
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TimDudleyETA

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm not sure what this is in Euro Dollar now. But I charge between $400- $750 for local events. Anything out of state I ask for expences to be covered and at lease $1000 to $1500. But I usually work with people.

Now when it comes to the live band they are different price than me. "Change of Habit" and "Expences Account Showband" have their own mangers. I have worked with and been in contest with these bands.

Your friend,
Tim Dudley "Tribute to the King"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/timdudleyelvistribute
EDDIE P
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
EDDIE P

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:08 pm

i think this all depends on what part of the country you live , if i went into some of my local pubs/ clubs and quoted some of the prices that are being shouted around here then i would be laughed out of Wales , in my local area i can get anything between 100 and 150 although i dont go out for anything below 120 , i can get more like Paul said for private functions etc.. , now if i travel down into south Wales and further down the south of England i can double that at some venues , i have no experience of up North so can not really comment , but i think it all depends on what part of the country you live in , but i must say reputation does pay a part also if you have a reputation that you put on a good show then they will generally pay you more , but that comes with experience of doing the job , but all in all dont let anyone tell you it's easy , it's bloody hard work finding regular gigs , but it is so worth it Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.eddiepmemoriesshow.com
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:29 pm

A lot of good response here.

What I think you have to look into is "why are you doing it"

I do want to go full time if possible, but at the moment I`m building the act up.

I have a job that gives me enough for living expenses, so my performance money goes back into the pot for the act.

I won`t do an act unless I can cover the cost of my 3 backing singers and 2 guys (my eldest Son and his friend) who do my sound, lights, set up/ take down kit, etc.

However, if I was doing this full time and I was offered say £150 for a Wednesday night on my own when I was free I would do it.
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.UKELVIS.CO.UK
Sophie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:32 pm

I dont get those who do it...because they can. They can earn a lot of money from it so they do it.
If it was me...id have to enjoy what I did...and do my act!! out of respect for that person.
Id make it the best.
Back to top Go down
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Don`t get me wrong Sophie, that is why I do it, cause I love Elvis and his music.

I don`t think many people do it just because they can.

It would come across when performing.

However, if u r in the situation where this is your job, no matter how much you do it for the love, there will be a financial need.
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.UKELVIS.CO.UK
Sophie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm

I had a bad experience...really. And so its made me a tad synical perhaps. It just upset me a bit.
Soph. x
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 pm

I think all of the guys do it out of love for Elvis!
You must love the King, else you cant make a tribute.
And those Elvis suits, and all the other expences they are pretty expencive.
Most guys have a regular job (well Johnny dos) and we always look forward to a show, course it is just wonderfull how the people react, and out of that, they even may buy Elvis cd's.
So that way, Elvis will stay 'alive'.
Back to top Go down
jason
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
jason

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:24 pm

there really is some great response here and really helpful.thanks guys. I just want to say i think why we all do this is firstly we want to keep the Elvis memory alive, introduce it to new generations, entertain people and make people happy. Without trying to sound cheesy look how people gather round and link up at these shows(i.e.American Trilogy)you don't get that kind of energy and love anywhere else its quite something.Look at the friendships its created(conventions,forums etc).to be fair though if i'd could go part time at work and also make money at something i love doing and feel really passionate about then id love to do it. Also to put some money back into the pot to make a better and more entertaining show for people to enjoy. i cant believe people would do this just because they can or just to make a fast buck. hope ive not got too carried away here. all the best jase
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats a fair price for gigs?   Whats a fair price for gigs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats a fair price for gigs?
Page 1 of 1