WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Making a full time living as an ETA

Go down 
+2
TCBinaflash
pauldb38
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Making a full time living as an ETA Empty
PostSubject: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 10:59 am

Hi all.

After a long break away from the music scene I`m back into it as an ETA.

As you can see from my photos, I have put an act together with backing singers/ dancers, and we are getting some excellent reviews/ feedback.

I have a full time job at present - I actually have my own Recruitment agency - but I am looking at packing it in to do the ETA stuff full time.

Don`t worry, I`m not going to throw caution to the wind and jump Very Happy

Can anyone let me know if you can make a good living out there as an ETA and what advice could you give.

Thanking you all in advance Smile

Michael
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.UKELVIS.CO.UK
mikenova
Knocking On Gracelands Door
mikenova

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 2:07 pm

hi michael,one word comes to mind...'tough'!!! its hard to go full time as such...im finding it ok at present but i have no family as such to provide for.i live with my 18 yr old son and he does his own thing so i am lucky in a way.....i think it depends on how much you charge for a show/gig and how many times a week you are out doin such a show.ive only been at this 'game' for 18 months and im out normally 2 to 3 times a week but it takes alot of background work that nobody else sees that is the important stuff.you can have a great show and set but i spend 99 per cent of the week in my second home..the post office....always sending out demo's etc etc and it is slowly paying off.if you do decide to go 'full time' then i wish you the very best of luck buddy.the work is out there,you just gotta get up and find it.i would if i can offer you 3 pieces of advice. 1. dont bother with agents/managers
2. dont listen to anybody,go with your ideas 3. enter all the contests you can

mike nova
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisreturns.co.uk
pauldb38
Admin
Admin
pauldb38

Number of posts : 3782
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Mike you don't look old enought to have a 18 year old son affraid

Paul.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.co.uk
TCBinaflash
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TCBinaflash

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 3:46 pm

mikenova wrote:
1. dont bother with agents/managers

mike nova

Mike
May i ask why your against the idea of Management? i can understand why you said agents but managers? also again why do you say dont listen to anybody go with your own ideas? as i disagree with two of them comments as i thought 1st it would be nice to hear someone else's input into your performance you can choose to ignore it if the artists wishes too but always should be open to ideas how to improve as we all know nobody is perfect but alot of ETA's out there miss some major pointers in there act so if people are willing to help improve on there act then i dont see what would be wrong with a bit of free advice?
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisforeveryone.co.uk
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm

mikenova wrote:
hi michael,one word comes to mind...'tough'!!! 1
I would expect nothing less!!! However, I am a sales and marketing person, so I am happy getting on the phone, arranging meeting, etc.
I take it Mike, from what you have said, this is the big part of the battle? Lots of work out there but you have to promote yourself?

Quote :
1. dont bother with agents/managers
You have already had a comment about this, but I guess you mean
1. Be careful and don`t rely on them.
2. If you have an idea, run with it, don`t let anyone put you off.
3. Is this the best place to find out about all the contests? I do speak to Martin Fox now and again, and I`ll be at the August Blackpool event, but is there any other places to find this out?

Thanks for your comments Mike.

P.S. I was the guy the other day that sent u a message on MySpace Wink
Back to top Go down
mikenova
mikenova

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 pm

hi mark,let me try to break up what i said!! firstly i have nothing against managers or even agents.everybody has a job to do and if im honest if you can find a manager that is behind you 100 per cent then im sure that person/s will only be good for your act.once bitten and twice shy thats all.
secondly,when i say dont listen to anybody,of course its great to get feedback but i mean with your own personnal goal,there are folk out there who will beat you down and have some super duper ideas for your act/show.personally you cant beat watching Elvis himself wether in concert or in a movie and then recreate those magical moments the best way you can and enjoy it! there is nothing better than a free bit of advice,as long as it comes from somebody who knows what they are talking about and we have all met people who dont fit that bill !! hopefully i hope i havent upset you by what i have stated Mark and i stand by my words..Michael dont listen to me!! go with your dream buddy.
oh and thanks paul,yes he is 18 and boy i feelin it!!!!
Back to top Go down
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 am

Nope Mike, I will listen. Anyone who has done it before and has experience will always catch my attention.

Good advice and if you see my comments after you posted I think I did understand what you meant?

Thank u Sir!!!
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Well, Johnny has a good one!
He aranges shows for him, and studio recordings.
But he is more a friend then a manager, he is a arager.
We met him at the Elvis-cruise in september, he organized it, and Johnny got nr. 1 with the contest, and after that, he aragend some shows for Johnny. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
TCBinaflash
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TCBinaflash

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi Mike
No mate you have not upset me at all but you have put up a good debate my friend, 1st of all i agree with what you say about watching Elvis, that to me is the Number One rule he is the one who the tribute is about now i dont mean to offend anyone in here or outta here but this is a pet hate of mine that there are so many ETA's today that do not do there homework on Elvis they put costume on and to them they feel thats all that is needed and feel some special power that they are Elvis i always i mean AlWAYS KNOW when an ETA has studied Elvis and they get my full respect i dislike the lazy guys out there who gives us a very watered down version of Elvis by copying another ETA or thinking the Jumpsuit is good enough.
Now mike about Mangers i guess you are correct there but there are also some great Managers out there who give more than 100% to there act so that is balanced evenly and Mike seems you have been Bitten so im sorry to hear that my friend but on a whole now Mike now you have broken down what you have posted i do agree with you on the above :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisforeveryone.co.uk
mikenova
mikenova

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 4:56 pm

im sure there are some great managers and who knows maybe one day i will find one!!!

and i totally agree,it takes more than just a jumpsuit to become a decent eta.
Back to top Go down
chrisfield
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
chrisfield

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:45 pm

hi mike,ive been in the game about as long as you ,couldnt agree with you more on the hard work and research,especially in the early days ,glad its all paying off for you,
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvis1066tribute.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:38 pm

i'm thinking of getting a partime job to sub my gigs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making a full time living as an ETA   Making a full time living as an ETA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a full time living as an ETA
Page 1 of 1