WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Elvis-clad dads strut their stuff

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Elvis-clad dads strut their stuff Empty
PostSubject: Elvis-clad dads strut their stuff   Elvis-clad dads strut their stuff Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:20 am

Elvis-clad dads strut their stuff News01

There were gyrating hips, curled lips and more clingy white polyester than should be allowed on one stage.

Elvis definitely had entered the building.

Whitefish Dance & Acrobat Studio were part of a three-day recital run this week with a feature that only happens every other year — the Dancin’ Dadz.

This time around, 32 fathers of dance students donned classic Elvis costumes and took the stage to perform a medley of famous tunes from “The King.”

But before that could happen, the fathers submitted to six weeks of practice under the tutelage of dance-studio director Leigh Ann O’Neill. And they dutifully stood in line at dress rehearsal to have their black wigs slicked down and sprayed.

“We don’t do makeup,” Chris Hyatt said light-heartedly as he waited his turn for the wig sculpting. “We like the washed out, bloated look, so we’re gonna run with it.”

Hyatt admitted there was still some work to do to fine-tune the Elvis choreography. No one was too worried, though.

“By Saturday night [the last recital] we’ll have found our way,” said Hyatt, father of 8-year-old Audrey. “There’s nothing more you can give to your daughter than this.”

If there was any trepidation among the daddy dancers — many of them first-timers — it was not apparent as they gathered in the Whitefish Middle School Auditorium lobby to await their turn on stage.

The girls had first dibs on practice; dads were last on the list.

“I always wanted to take dance lessons, Tim Lannaghan confided. “We’ll try our best and see where the cards fall. The only thing I’m nervous about is I don’t want to see this show up on YouTube.”

Lannaghan, father of Tatum, 6, said Elvis moves weren’t really his thing.

“I’m more of an R and B, hip-hop guy,” he said.

Ralph Simpson called himself a “newbie,” but later revealed a fair knowledge of the dance world, having worked backstage at the Pacific Northwest Ballet as a physical therapist for 10 years, taking care of injured ballet dancers.

“I never fancied myself as a dancer,” Simpson mused, then jokingly added “I’m up to 800 milligrams of Ibuprofen a day now.”

Simpson’s 4-year-old daughter, Alie, was among the youngest dance students.

It was the third time on stage for Ed Madler, whose 19-year-old twin daughters, Hilary and Roxan, are dance majors at the University of Montana. They were back in Whitefish to help out and perform at the recitals.

“I’m a pro,” Madler confidently said. “Well, professionals get money, so I guess I’m a good amateur.”

Ricky Myers, father of Miranda, 15, said he was having the time of his life.

“This was a ‘yes, dear’ thing,” he said with a laugh, “but this is more fun than you can believe.”

Tim Sammon, a construction worker and father of Madison, 6, joked that it took “a few drinks” and coercion from a few of the wives to get him in the Elvis troupe, but he was loving it.

“It makes his daughter happy,” Sammon’s wife, Brandy, said.

Is Sammon a good dancer?

“No comment,” he retorted.

ON STAGE, there was momentary confusion until the dads found their footing. Some were distracted, waving to their daughters as they called out “Hi, Daddy!”

“All right guys, let’s not miss any steps,” director O’Neill ordered as she realigned some of the dancers. “I think we can showboat a little more.”

Showboating wasn’t a problem for Keven Guercio and Lester Johnson, who were so into the Elvis routine they took the lead as a couple of the best dancers. They brought their own more authentic-looking Elvis wigs from home; Johnson got his “hair” in Memphis; Guercio found his wig in his Halloween costume stash.

The fathers sported three different sets of costumes, one group in white polyester jumpsuits, another in jailhouse garb and the third group in black leather. They moved and grooved to “Blue Suede Shoes,” “Jailhouse Rock” and “Burning Love.”

“Let’s see full-body Elvis,” O’Neill shouted as the chorus of the last song lapsed into its refrain: “I’m just a hunk, a hunk of burning love...”

The end of the medley allowed time for some of the Elvis wannabes to dance among the audience, but the timing was critical.

“After the booty shake [on stage] you gotta get going” into the audience, Guercio advised Johnson.

Wes Hironaka, dancing with the dads for the third time in six years, took a more laid-back approach to the choreography.

“If you can’t remember, make it up,” he told another dad on his way to the stage.

Brett Woody said it was the first recital for both him and his 5-year-old daughter, Makenna. He’d seen the Dancin’ Dadz on stage before and never imagined he’d be one of them.

“But here I am,” he said. “I’m doing it for her.”

Makenna’s take on the matter: “Daddy’s silly.”

Thundering applause broke out as the fathers finished. They earned major brownie points with their wives and daughters, but perhaps more importantly, they were “The King,” if only for a short while.

source: http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2008/06/15/news/news01.txt
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com

Elvis-clad dads strut their stuff
Page 1 of 1