WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland

Go down 
+2
Lorna
eselvisfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Empty
PostSubject: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Jerry_lee_lewis_400-sm

In November 22, 1976 Jerry Lewis was arrested for drunk driving in Memphis. Later, at three a.m., he appears at Graceland, Elvis Presley’s residence, brandishing a pistol and demanding to see Elvis. He is handcuffed and taken to jail. Thankfully Elvis was out of town that day. People say Jerry Lee was jeleous of Elvis and having seen the following on another site about the incident I certainly think he was, such a shame, I always thought they were mates Shocked Rolling Eyes

Quote :
Before Presley's death, Lewis was arrested at Graceland, waving a gun and telling a security guard he was there to kill Presley. He once estimated he had spent $500,000 on Demerol while addicted to the painkillers. Lewis often referred to the Beatles as "that English band", and was jealous of the fame accorded Presley. "I was glad [when Presley died]", he once said. "Just another one out of the way. I mean, Elvis this, Elvis that. All we hear is Elvis. What the shit did Elvis do except take dope that I couldn't get ahold of?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 am

'I was glad when Presley died'???!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
Lorna
Lorna

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:47 am

eselvisfan wrote:
'I was glad when Presley died'???!!!

Exactly Essie! How bad is that! Mad I always thought they were mates. He seems like he was a bitter twisted man before he died, which was like Elvis, before his time in 1981. Its an ugly trait jealousy. People should concentrate on themselves and improving their own circumstances than hating other people and being jealous of what they have got. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 10:39 am

My goodness, if this is so then he was waaaaay out of line!!
It is just TO sick for words..
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
Lorna
Lorna

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 11:47 am

I know what you mean Essie. Am gonna have a look on a few more fact sites and find out what the crack was with Jerry Lee and Elvis. Hope its not the way it seems but already people have said Jerry Lee was very bitter towards Elvis and his career Sad
Back to top Go down
memphisking@elvis1988.plu
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 12:21 pm

jll is not dead i saw him in vegas 4 years ago your right though he is a prat
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-memphisking.co.uk
Joppo85
Knocking On Gracelands Door
Joppo85

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Apart from that statement Jerry Lee Lewis is a legend!
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitetributes.com
Lorna
Lorna

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Oh dear, Im gonna have to do more research before I post things. Sorry all Jerry Lee fans it was just me being blonde Embarassed Laughing Embarassed Laughing Embarassed

Here is some more very interesting info of the strange event that took place between Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis:

Jerry Lee Lewis vs Elvis Presley 1976

According to Harold Loyd, first cousin to Elvis, and the presiding guard on duty at Presley's Graceland mansion -- in the early hours of November 22, 1976, he was greeted by an unexpected visitor. Jerry Lee Lewis, accompanied by his wife, pulled up to the mansion's front gate in his new Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow. He asked Loyd if he could see Elvis, but was told that the King was asleep. Lewis politely thanked Loyd and drove away without incident.

Later that morning, at 9:30 a.m., Lewis flipped his Rolls while rounding the corner at Peterson Lake and Powell Road in Collierville. The police report on the incident stated that the Breathanalyser test yielded negligible results, but that Lewis was obviously tanked on something and that he was charged with driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, and driving without a license.

After the infraction, says his sister Linda Gail, Lewis most likely repaired to his home to rest. Less than 12 hours later, he was holding court at The Vapors, one of his favorite Memphis nightspots. For reasons that are still debated, Lewis decided to leave the Vapors -- alone -- at about 2:30 a.m. At precisely 2:50 a.m., almost 24 hours later to the minute, he again pulled up to Graceland, this time in a new Lincoln Continental. The car wasn't the only thing that had changed from the night before. Lewis' manner on the 23rd was markedly different. He was armed, angry, and obviously inebriated -- a dangerous combination for a man mere mortals call "Killer."

"He was outta his mind, man," recalls Loyd. "He was screamin', hollerin', and cussin'. `Get on the goddamn phone. I know you got an intercom system. Call up there and tell Elvis I wanna visit with him. Who the hell does he think he is? Tell him the Killer's here to see him."

Loyd panicked. "I just put my hands up in the air and said, `Okay, okay, Jerry, just take it easy.'"

Loyd retreated to the guard booth and picked up the house phone. One of "the boys" answered and Loyd apprised him of the situation. Loyd was advised to call the cops, and wasted no time in doing so. Moments later Presley himself rang down to the guard booth.

Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Elvis%20and%20ginger

Loyd recalls their conversation precisely. "Elvis was on the line and he said, `Wh-wh-what' -- see, he used to stutter a lot when he got upset -- `Wh-wh-what the hell's goin' on down there, Harold?'

"I said, `Well, Jerry Lee Lewis is sittin' in his car down here outside the gate, wavin' a derringer pistol and raisin' hell.'

"Elvis said, `Wh-wh-what's that goddamn guy want?'

"[I said] `He's demanding to come up and see Elvis’.”

"He said, `Oh, I-I-I don't wanna talk to that crazy sonofabitch. Hell no, I don't wanna talk to him. I'll come down there and kill him! You call the cops, Harold.'

"I told him I already did and he said, `Good. When they get there tell 'em to lock his butt up and throw the goddamn key away. Okay? Thank you, Harold.'"

Officer Billy J. Kirkpatrick was the first to arrive on the scene. Though Lewis was still seated in his car, Kirkpatrick knew he was armed and approached with caution. Kirkpatrick ordered him out of the car, but Lewis would not comply.

"[Kirkpatrick] had to pull him outta the car," remembers Loyd. "He told him to keep his hands on the steering wheel where he could see 'em. Jerry said he just wanted to see Elvis, but Kirkpatrick told him to shut up. Now Jerry, he had tried to hide his pistol by puttin' it in between his knee and the door. But when Kirkpatrick opened the door, the damn gun fell out onto the floorboard [laughs]. Kirkpatrick picked up the gun, and it was cocked and loaded."

The police report states that on closer inspection, Kirkpatrick noticed that the front passenger window of Lewis' car was smashed in. This accounts for the deep gash on the bridge of Lewis' nose, obvious from his mugshot. According to Kirkpatrick's report, the injury was sustained "from broken glass resulting from attempting to jettison an empty champagne bottle thru [sic] the closed window of his '76 Lincoln."

Kirkpatrick and four other officers took Lewis away immediately. But Loyd would receive another visitor before night's end. He explains, "When the wrecker came down and towed Jerry's car away [at approximately 4 a.m.] they hadn't much more than gotten outta sight when another car comes flyin' up the driveway and two guys got out. I recognized one of 'em as Jerry Lee's dad.

"He was laughin', sayin', `Ha, ha, ha, ain't this some crap, man? I just got word that they've taken my son to jail. This guy with me here, he just got me outta the Hernando jail. I just got out, and Jerry done gone ahead.'"

Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Jerry_lee_lewis-mug-shot

Sure enough, Elmo Lewis -- age 78, no less -- was arrested at 7:30 p.m. on the 21st for speeding and driving while intoxicated. He spent two nights in jail, and failed to make his court appearance scheduled for the morning of 23rd. Like father, like son, indeed.
However Linda Gail (Jerry Lee's youngest sibling) interpretation of November 23rd reads quite a bit differently.

"Jerry Lee admitted to me that he had been partyin' and drinkin' and that he was a little bit out of it," Gail recalls, "but he swore his intentions were good. He's very misunderstood, you see. It's a shame really."

By Linda Gail's account, it was Presley who wanted to see Jerry Lee. He was depressed and called over to the Vapors hoping that Jerry Lee would come to Graceland and keep him company. She insists that Loyd never even informed Presley of Jerry Lee's arrival, and that Jerry Lee grew belligerent only because he feared for what Presley might do if he didn't see him.

"I believe, really and truly, that the people who were associated with Elvis at that time were trying to manipulate him. He was supporting all of them financially, and it was in their best interest to keep him isolated."

Linda Gail continues, "Jerry really had no motive to lie. Why would he leave a place where he was havin' a perfectly good time to go down to Elvis' house and make a scene? It just doesn't make any sense. He had his whole entourage with him, and a couple of girlfriends, and they were havin' a great time. There was no reason for him to go down there other than that he was concerned for his friend."

Linda Gail's voice takes on a halcyon quality when she remembers Elvis and Jerry Lee's friendship. She speaks of their mutual respect for one another, and tells stories of them riding motorcycles together and even going on double dates.

"Those two guys really did love each other," she says. "I do believe my brother just wanted to check on Elvis. He went there to cheer him up and kinda bond with him again. I guess everybody over at Graceland didn't want the two of them to get together because Jerry was really havin' one big party at the time. If him and Elvis had started runnin' the roads together, can you imagine what that would have been like? It probably would have been more than Memphis could have stood."

** Story by Piers Beagley EIN and also taken from The Memphis Flyer **

From: http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_jrerryleelewis.html
Back to top Go down
elvisinmemphis
elvisinmemphis

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2007-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 8:45 am

I agree with Joppo85 that Jerry Lee Lewis is a legend. The problem is that he and Elvis were such a musical force that there was always going to be some rivalry or competition between the two.
Both were gifted from above or "dinked" as I often say. The problem for Jerry Lee Lewis was that Elvis was the greatest musical force of all time. Both had their darkside and both were original bad boys of rock and roll. Elvis however was eventually to become civilised in Hollywood where I don't believe Jerry lee Lewis ever will be civilised.
He will always be a tortured soul so to speak but his talent is undeniable. The winners of all this apart from Sam Phillips, is all of us who now have the privilage of listneing to two of the truly great early bad boys of rock and roll.

As much as I love Elvis civilised or not, there is always a time when I love to play a cd of an uncivilised wild Jerry lee Lewis. Especially with all the canned plastic music around today.
Back to top Go down
Lorna
Lorna

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:33 am

Yeh I mean they are both rock n roll legends and I have nothing against Jerry Lee. But I do think its such a shame he felt the way he did towards Elvis as he is and was great as an entertainer in his own right. There shouldnt have had to be any comparison between them but obviously he thought there was. I have never heard the story of the shot gun before and its mad to think this actually happened. So glad Elvis wasnt soft enough to come out to Jerry Lee. Imagine if he actually shot him! Makes you shudder doesnt it pale pale pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:46 am

On another note: Jerry Lee Lewis and Scotty Moore have both been referred to as "The Last Man Standing"...Jerry Lee, the last of the original Million Dollar Quartet (Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee)...Scotty Moore, the last of the original Blue Moon Boys (Elvis, Scotty and Bill).

There are also some terrific Jerry Lee Lewis tribute acts..most notably in North America, there are Lance Lipinsky (age 24) and Joe Passion, who has performed throughout the world. Both can be seen on YouTube.

Yes...Jerry Lee is a legend...and one of the remaining "living" legends from the early days of rock and roll.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Rockin T
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rockin T

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Saw JLL a few years ago at Wembley in the Giants of Rock n Roll show.
Was a treat to see him and Little Richard jamming together side by side on one piano.
For all his faults, and there are MANY he is a superb entertainer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland   Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jerry Lee Lewis drunk and intoxicated at Graceland
Page 1 of 1