WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JRtherealJasper
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2007-08-13

Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? Empty
PostSubject: Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?   Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 8:35 pm

According to some reports, Elvis wore 4 different suits for his Opening engagements at the International in 1969. They say that one of these suits was brown. We all know the very familiar black and white versions, and I have heard over the years that there was a very dark blue one as well- but was there really a brown one?
This photo is supposed to be proof that there was.
What do u guys think?
For me, the jury is still out on wether there really was a blue suit- never mind brown!
I wonder if Elvis would really experiment so much with different colours this early in his engagement- or on the other hand- why would'nt he? After all, he was still in the process of refining and evolving his show- so maybe he DID try a brown suit?

Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? 6920vegas2085
Back to top Go down
Dean-Mack
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Dean-Mack

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?   Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 5:11 am

Was this suit not based on his karate suits, I'd say it was black and the colour looks faded or brown due to the flash of the camera
Back to top Go down
http://www.deanmack.co.uk
Dean-Mack
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Dean-Mack

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?   Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:52 am

I stand corrected, just found this receipt for sale on ebay for the suits used in that engagement. click on the 2nd picture and it shows that there was a brown suit purchased for the shows

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELVIS-OWNED-LAS-VEGAS-COSTUME-JUMPSUIT-RECEIPT_W0QQitemZ120423706070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120423706070&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Back to top Go down
http://www.deanmack.co.uk
JRtherealJasper
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?   Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 5:42 pm

This is a great find, Dean!
Really interesting to see that it does indeed show a brown suit!!! But if it was ever worn onstage is still unclear as there is no definitive photo where the colour is obvious. I wish we knew for sure!
Also very interesting to see that there is no mention of a blue suit!
People have been saying for years that Elvis had at least 1 blue costume for his comeback and some even say he wore blue for the Opening Night. But no decent proof has ever emerged.....
Of course it's possible Elvis had a blue version made in a seperate order- but I don't think this is likely.
After all, it was only from 1970 onwards where he really started to experiment with different coulours for his stage wardrobe, which is why I question all the theories that he was wearing Blue + Brown suits so early in his Live comeback shows.
Myrna Smith remembers meeting him for the first time and he was wearing a chocolate brown suit- I believe this could be the suit mentioned on the receipt and that it was not intended for stage use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?   Was there a BROWN costume in 1969? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was there a BROWN costume in 1969?
Page 1 of 1