WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JRtherealJasper
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2007-08-13

Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? Empty
PostSubject: Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed?   Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:03 pm

It's a great pity that there is no professional film (that we know of) of these shows as Elvis was in amazing form.
At the press conference on June 9 1972, someone actually asks Elvis if they are going to be filmed and he refers the question to the Colonel.....

He says ""Why did they film the concert in Boston and they couldn't film it here?" (By the way, I wonder when are we going to get a DVD of this Boston concert?)

The Colonel then says something about not wanting to spread Elvis around too much.

But at least we still have some pretty good Super8 film of Madison to enjoy.....I just wish we had more! But with On Tour filmed that year, and with Aloha coming up I can see where the Colonel was coming from in not wanting to over-expose Elvis in 72-73 (assuming that is what he meant when he said he did'nt want to "spread it around too much).

Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? 09_jun_72_04Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? 10_june_72_01Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? 10_june_72_pm_01
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed?   Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 pm

There were pro cameras there for filming, not sure how much.
Have you seen this pro-footage from Madison Square Garden, Jasper?

http://video.elvicities.com/videos/493/madison-square-garden

There was no Boston show filmed.
The person asking the question got confused with the April 5th show in Buffalo, not Boston.
Still would love to see the full show from Buffalo be released on DVD.

The reason why the Madison Square Garden shows were not offically filmed was down to MONEY.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
JRtherealJasper
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed?   Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Sean, that was amazing to see that footage- especially with the Jackie Kahane warm-up! Now I think about it, I remember seeing a very small part of this footage a few years ago in an American documentary where they also interviewed Lamar Fike.

I am sure there is still so much Professional footage of Elvis' concerts which we do not know about which has never been released.
I'm not talking about the obvious or "official" footage like the On Tour outtakes, but I mean film which might have been taken by local news cameras at venues where Elvis was performing.

There was pro footage of Elvis arriving atfrom Huntsville airport in 1975 which turned up recently.

Then there was the Japanese TV News footage of the Honolulu concerts in 1972 which has been around for some years now.

I feel there is a very good chance that a lot of good-quality Professionally filmed footage of Elvis in concert will surface within the next few years.
I will sign off now because I have got my laptop perched rather uncomfortably on my lap and my back is killing me. I have got guests staying this month and my usual computer area has been taken over!
And yes your previous answer was helpful, thanks Sean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed?   Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why was Madison Square Garden not Filmed?
Page 1 of 1