WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB

Go down 
+5
JRtherealJasper
elvis rip
Lorna
eselvisfan
KING ELVIS
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
elvis rip
Knocking On Gracelands Door
elvis rip

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-08-24

CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Empty
PostSubject: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:05 pm

SIR CLIFF RICHARD once turned down the opportunity to meet legendary singer ELVIS PRESLEY - because he was too fat.
Richard, a huge fan of the Hound Dog hitmaker, insists his biggest regret is declining to have his picture taken with the overweight star, assuming he would one day have the chance to be photographed with a slimmed-down Presley.
He says, "The big regret is when I had the chance to meet him in America, I chose not to because he was going through a really big, fat...he was grotesquely overweight.
"They kept saying they wanted a photograph of me and Elvis and I thought, 'Hang on, I don't want to have that Elvis with me on my wall - I'd rather have the magnificent Elvis that everybody knows and loves'. I said, 'If we wait long enough, he does movies and he goes on these fantastic diets, then we can have a picture of me with my idol looking like my idol'.
"Now I really regret it. I'd rather have met him overweight
Back to top Go down
elvis rip
elvis rip

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:05 pm

iam not to sure if we have had this topic
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Back to top Go down
KING ELVIS
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
KING ELVIS

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:16 pm

OMG is he a fan of Elvis or not.. I would do anything to meet Elvis!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingelvis.dk
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:21 pm

I am jalouse of anyone that ever got to see Elvis!!!!
Well, he regrets it now, waaaaaaay to late!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:25 pm

KING ELVIS wrote:
OMG is he a fan of Elvis or not.. I would do anything to meet Elvis!

I wouldnt call Cliff an Elvis fan but more of an admirer of Elvis, especially the 50's Elvis.

Cliff tried to meet Elvis in 1959 in Germany and went to Elvis' rented house but Elvis wasnt in, but Cliff did meet Vernon.

Elvis was fully aware of Cliff's musical career and even sent Cliff a signed autograph which Cliff asked for.

Cliff has always spoke positive of Elvis and said if it wasnt for Elvis there would have been no Cliff Richard.
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:29 pm

I wouldnt say that he always spoke possitive bout Elvis, if he dint want to have a picture from him with Elvis, when Elvis had a weight problem.
To me that is folish!
And you are right, if it wasnt for Elvis, Cliff Richard would be on this planet, but not as a artist. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:40 pm

eselvisfan wrote:
I wouldnt say that he always spoke possitive bout Elvis, if he dint want to have a picture from him with Elvis, when Elvis had a weight problem.
To me that is folish!
And you are right, if it wasnt for Elvis, Cliff Richard would be on this planet, but not as a artist. Wink

I dont think Cliff is telling the whole truth here anyway.

It was very difficult to get to see Elvis and if Cliff would have had the chance he would have taken it, simple as that.
Back to top Go down
elvis rip
elvis rip

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:04 am

thanks for that sean. paul can delete this topic then thanks phil king
Back to top Go down
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:28 am

No it is a vaild discussion Phil, No need to delete it. Some of the newer members might not have seen it and might want to contribute.
So what do you think about it Phil? Do you think it serves him right for being so narrow minded or do you think he had a point in waiting to see if he got slimmer?

Again I think he was an idiot! Its something he will now regret for the rest of his life Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com
elvis rip
elvis rip

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:42 am

lorna i just think hes a fool. iam not a cliff fan to be honest i just thought it was disrespectful all because he was over weight. all the best phil
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:50 am

Here is what i think.

The way the story sounds its like Elvis wanted to meet Cliff and that Cliff refused, and if that is supposed to be true then that is the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard.

There is no doubt what-so-ever that if Cliff was in the US and Elvis wanted to meet him, Cliff would have, regardless of what Elvis looked like.
Back to top Go down
JRtherealJasper
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:51 am

Right on. Sounds like Cliff failed to meet Elvis and is now trying to save face and "style it out"!
Back to top Go down
ian
ian

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 11:42 am

Well i am a Cliff Richard fan as well as The Shadows, mainly the early Cliff, It was Brian Bennett from the Shadows who made my mind up in what i wanted to do, he also discovered Billy Fury as he was playing drums for Marty Wilde as well Brian Locking playing Bass who later joined The Shads, Bruce Welch life story is a must to read.
But For Cliff Richard was he gay (no) Jet harris hated Cliff for having an affair with is wife.
But Cliff said when he heard Elvis singing Heartbreak Hotel is hairs stood up on the back of is neck, he wanted to be a singer just like Elvis which Cliff as always said, he was always known as the UKs Elvis in is early days.
When Cliff it the charts with Move It, there was no such band as The Shadows as they did not exsist, in other words the guitar on Move It is not Hank Marvin.
When Cliff went to conker America he was a flop, driving all over the place in there frezzing bus and playing to empty theatres.
Vernon did invite them up to Gracelands, Elvis was in Hollywood making movies. It was a bad move for Cliff, Why, The Beatles were taking America by storm, Elvis had already left is mark and moved on,
So Cliff came back to England and had no choice but to change is image.
But never denied Elvis as Cliff said He was the 1st to open the doors and if it was not for Elvis i might not be here.
Ian
Billy Dean
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:35 pm

ian wrote:
Well i am a Cliff Richard fan as well as The Shadows, mainly the early Cliff, It was Brian Bennett from the Shadows who made my mind up in what i wanted to do, he also discovered Billy Fury as he was playing drums for Marty Wilde as well Brian Locking playing Bass who later joined The Shads, Bruce Welch life story is a must to read.
Brian Bennett never discovered Billy Fury, it was Larry Parnes.It was Parnes that named him 'Billy Fury'.
Back to top Go down
ian
ian

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Sorry Sean,
It was Brian Bennett, who was Marty Wildes Drummer,
Ian
Billy Dean
Back to top Go down
pauldb38
Admin
Admin
pauldb38

Number of posts : 3782
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 3:41 pm

As far as i was aware it was Larry Parnes who discovered Billy Fury or at least thats what all the documentry's i have seen seem to say ?

Paul.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.co.uk
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 4:06 pm

ian wrote:
Sorry Sean,
It was Brian Bennett, who was Marty Wildes Drummer,
Ian
Billy Dean

Ian,

Here are some links that might change your mind.

http://www.nic.fi/~nallew/pages/bio.html

http://www.geocities.com/~uheep2/billyfury/ Please check Biography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Fury Please check 'Early Years'.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/artists/bfury.htm

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/life/displaylife.asp?id=17
Back to top Go down
ian
ian

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Sean,
I think alot of people who get lost in trying to find out things, do turn to links on the internet.
I don't need to read them because i know, if i was not sure i would read the links, but when you have worked with the guys who have played with Billy Fury and as Paul knows i have done the Billy Fury weekend a few times and that is only because Billys brother Albie as asked for me.
I have also done the Cliff Richard weekend twice, on stage with Brian locking and Alan jones, also Warren Bennitt, Brian Bennets son, when i told him i was doing the Billy Fury weekend he told me is dad discovered him. what he told me was right from Albie.
I have done the Billy Fury shows a few times and always wanted to know why Billy was buried in London and not Liverpool and why as it took so long to put a statue of Billy Fury up in Liverpool. Albie told me why ?
I bet the answers are not in the links. Albie tryed to follow in Billys footsteps and became Jason Eddie was discovered by Freddie Star and was recording with Joe Meek another pioneer who as been forgotton.
Billy Fury yes was managed by Larry who undercut Billy as well as been a shirt lifter.
Billy recorded a few songs and is mother Jean sent them to lots of record companys, but Billy was writing them for Marty Wilde to sing who was off course managed by Larry, Larry had a couple off Billys songs,
And it took Billy to head up to the theatre who was met by Brian Bennett who took him up stairs to Marty Wilde, Marty called in larry and he put him on stage there and then.
Billy was so nerous is knees were knocking the fans thought that was part off is act.
He was banned from Ireland,
Beaten up in Scotland by jealous Teds.
Never had a number one,
The only English rocknroller to meet Elvis and Elvis let him record one off is songs Because of love.
Did you know why Billy was Buried just outside London and not Liverpool.
Ian
Billy Dean
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Ian,

History says that Larry Parnes invited Ron(Billy) down to the Essoldo Theatre for a rehearsal where Marty Wilde was playing in Oct '58.
Larry signed Ron on the spot and changed his name to 'Billy Fury', became his manager and the rest is history.
I dont see how that makes Brian Bennett the man who discovered Billy Fury just cause he showed him where Larry was when Billy turned up at the theatre.
Even Billy's own words confirms that it was Larry Parnes thats discovered Billy.
I think Brian Bennett's son is having you on.
Back to top Go down
ian
ian

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi Sean,
This is what Warren Bennett told me that is dad Brian took him up to the changing room to meet Marty wilde hopeing he would sing is songs, Marty told him to get is guitar out and sing, he called in Larry who knew about him and was impressed as Marty said he was good enough to do the songs him self so he was put on stage without rehearsing, he was then taken on the show and renamed Billy after Billy Cotton from the circus and Fury as he was shy by Larry, Ron did not like it, but he had no choice.
I did not believe it to that Brian Bennett was with him but i asked Billy Furys Brother Albie and he told me it was true.
Albie said he went off and when he came home he was Billy Fury.
Ian
Billy Dean
Back to top Go down
Sean
Poster Of The Week
Poster Of The Week
Sean

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info.

I guess there seems to be different accounts as to what happened etc.

Interesting to find out what Marty Wilde can remember about it.

I found the latest Billy Fury DVD brilliant and very sad.

What an incredible singer Billy was, IMO better than Cliff and all the other British Rock'n'Roll stars.

Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1xnDhRembI
Back to top Go down
ian
ian

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Sean,
I know Larry Parnes named him Billy Fury, i never said he did'nt.
I am just telling you what Warren Bennet told me, it might be that Brian Bennet saw him before Larry as Brian was playing drums for Marty wilde, also Ron or Billy was hoping that Marty would sing is songs, but Marty said he was good enough himself to sing them.
Jean sent songs to Larry he never got back to her with is pic also to others.
But yes Larry told him to come down to the Thearte and Brian might have seen him first and took him up to see Marty.
Strange even when i worked with Marty Wilde the first thing he did was pick up my old Hofner guitar which i still have, and told me it was like Billy Furys and i told him i was a Shadows fan and then he told me how Joe Brown gave Hank Marvin the famous Ekoplec to get that delay, things you pick up on the road, now memories for me.
Ian
Billy Dean
Back to top Go down
ian
ian

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Just watched that link on utube, very worth watching, check it out guys. thanks Sean.
Ian
Billy Dean
Back to top Go down
Rockin T
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Rockin T

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Ian as you are a Cliff fan and mentioned the Jet Harris` wife incident I wonder if you can give any credence to something that was told to me by Melvyn Hayes.
He told me that Cliff had a fling with Una Stubbs whilst they were filming and at the time she was both married and pregnant.
Can remember the conversation as clear as day even though it was about `94/`95 and we were in Melvyn`s pub in St Albans and had consumed a fair amount of the old funny water.
The only thing I can`t remember is if he said it was whilst they were filming Summer Holiday or Wonderful Life!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB   CLIFF RICHARD  REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CLIFF RICHARD REGRETS 'FAT' ELVIS SNUB
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next