WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shawn v Doug

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
elvisinmemphis
Knocking On Gracelands Door
elvisinmemphis

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2007-07-31

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Just a point I made on another ETA board I would like to share with you all. Someone was wondering how to promote Doug in the UK either with a band or playback and other interesting points concerning Doug and Shawn.

Hi
If I could just add my ten pence worth for what it is worth. Most of what I say can be taken as tried and tested.

Firstly do not underestimate the power of a playback show. We were the first to go down that road in theatres 4 or 5 years ago and I can honestly say it was wisest desicion we ever made. Bands are a great visual asset on stage but that can now be replaced with modern technology, and the gains from that are

1. No longer can a band or musician hold us to ransom.
2 If you have to hire a venue the risk is less as the hirer is always last to get paid.
3 Good tracks are not tempermental nor do they demand or throw a whinge.
4 Rehearsals become cheaper, easier and is the same with Hotel bills.
5. You have total control over your show.
6. A playback show can be more exciting than a band show and if you don't believe me you have not seen the right show.

It is not even about money. In las vegas Celion Dion can afford a band but does not use one others like kylie use only minimal musicians playing to click tracks.

As far as Doug Church goes ....without a doubt in the Elvis world he is the one who up to 12 months ago was the one ETA above the rest. His voice is uncanny and in his younger days especially was a great mover on stage. Over the years he has carried some weight and yet his voice is still amazing.

Having said all that ...I believe the one who has taken over the "one to must see " mantle is Shawn Klush. Not only in the Evis world but after his success on the BBC also in the "Mainstream" which no other ETA has ever achieved to such a degree. ( Freddie Star was a TV comedian first )

In the Elvis world Doug Church if promoted right is still a very big pull. I think he is happy performing with tracks, so knowing it is possible with our show to go up to a 500 plus to an audience on playback, ( with the lighting and the sound and Elvis sign) he would not have to sell so many tickets as he would with a band to be successful. Especially in the right venues.

The fact that Doug was not one of the performers chosen for the Bolton gig is nothing to do with his talent. I think he could easily play a part in that show on a different occasion. A lot of Elvis fans would love to see him I am sure.

For those in the Elvis world who are not convinced about Shawn Klush however, let me say this. Do not live in ignorance, before you give a verdict to see what Shawn is all aboutyou have to see him live if only once. Then if you are of the same opinion thats fine.

I also checked U tube before the BBC and like every single person I have met who have done the same and not seen him live ............... look to his voice as a weakness. So did I.

How wrong I could have been......... as every single person who went out their way to see him last in London will now also concede. His voice as proven on his latest recordings in Spain has just gone up another level, and believe me at the BBC it was good enough then.
What makes him so special is combined with his look and mannerisms, as ETA's repected throughout the UK ( Richard Atkins, Niel Duncan) who were not at the BBC are united in saying .....................this now is unreal. its as if he actually becomes Elvis on stage.

and you know what ...............the frightening thing is they are right.

Now as far as ticket prices go to an Elvis fan to witness something so close is priceless. For instance in London at the Pigalle tickets sold out at £60 plus a meal.

How many fans seriously do you think asked, "what is the meal, lol?"

As far as Doug Church goes in my opinion he is a "Name act" even a legend in the Elvis world and if sold to the right market a self contained show ticket would be £20 - £25 especially with the Direct from the USA tag.

It's a once in a llifetime experience to hear the true "voice of Elvis"....... would be the selling tag.

Regards

Steve Preston

PS
It proves just how big both these acts are in the Elvis world as I bet you knew who Shawn V Doug was meant to be before you read this article.
Back to top Go down
spirit of elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
spirit of elvis

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:55 am

great point steve i didnt think of it like that till you mentioned it, about ticket prices. so when you put it like that 20-25 pound is reasonable.
Back to top Go down
TCBinaflash
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TCBinaflash

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2007-07-28

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Interesting topic Steve
But if i may add a few comments here,
1st It may surprise many in here that Doug is not really known here in the UK we all know him because we are members of forums like these but Joe Public knows nothing of Doug except the fans he has managed to capture here in the UK. Many ETA followers know of there favs here in the UK but outside ie the USA NOT many are known at all.
However Shawn Klush is well known here because of the media exposure he has gained with The Worlds Greatest Elvis and rightfully so. You Tube is a BIG help for ETA's these days as to me it has replaced the websites and with You Tube i have come across many ETA's i have never heard of in my life just like Natahan Belt who is amazing.
I have done 10 shows with Doug with a band and without a band and i know here in the UK Doug prefers using Backing tracks there was one Band we used who was meant to be a Elvis Tribute band BTW it was not Red Alert but this band we used i Fired them on the 2nd night during a 3 night contract because they were Drunk and late coming on stage in fact i had to go to the Pub to drag there butts out 5 mins before they were due to go on while Doug was waiting in the wings. The set list consisted of nothing to speak off so Doug was very much limited to what he could sing. So my opinion is Backing tracks are best but Steve in my area i dont know if its the same for you, but the larger Venues do not allow self contained shows which i think is the most stupid rule.
However in my own opinion i have worked with Doug now for 10years, I have seen many Changes with Doug in that period with his weight gain and loss but many times i feel Doug gets lazy but since the Ultimate has come along now he has choosen to lose weight and moves a lot more and so i have heard but his voice has never failed him. I personaly think Shawn Klush has kicked many ETA's up the ass to get there act together but i feel it is too late for them others as they should have always stayed on top of there game in the 1st place. At this moment in time Shawn Klush sets the Standard but in saying that the Standard is very high these days to live up to with many new ETA's like of Shawn Klush , Justin Shandour, Nathan Belt , Donny Edwards,the standard is growing higher and its about time i say. Doug is known as The Voice Of Elvis no doubt he has the voice but he needs to deliver much more to keep up with these young guys of today. But saying that Steve all my Fan Club members and Doug Fans would not pay no more than £15 to see Doug i have tried this before i had many complaints trust me and these are Die Hard Doug fans who travel as far as Denmark from Scotland to see him when i did ticket price at £20 they all refused. so what would be the reason for that? this was my 3rd show with Doug then with a band hence why the change in ticket price.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisforeveryone.co.uk
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Interesting topic.

I`m not into the Doug v Shawn thing - I think they are both excellent performers in their own way.

In my opinion, an ETA is like a Woman - I can always find something good about them Wink

The debate about bands or backing tracks interests me.

Because I have never performed in front of a band as an ETA, it is one of my aims in the near future.

I obviously respect Steve Preston for what he says (another outstanding ETA, btw!!!) but I think there are a couple of counter arguments for having a band.

1) With a band you can mess about more - like Elvis did?

2) You can come into a song when you want - I don`t know about you guys but if you miss your cue you are knackered!!!

I have only done 5 gigs to date but I have done them all with backing tracks. The biggest audience I have played to is around 500 (my most recent gig)

I have no doubt the backing tracks worked as every place we have played has either booked us again for a few months time, or we have gained other bookings out of it.

I would probably be in a better position to answer the question properly when I have played in front of a band.

I do know from experience it is hard managing 3 backing singers, so I can imagine people being people is the hardest part to deal with.
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.UKELVIS.CO.UK
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 4:53 pm

I forgot to put in my main point!!!

I was going to say, if I was going to see a top ETA at show I personally would like to see him/ her (pc and all that!!!) perform with a band behind them.
Back to top Go down
TCBinaflash
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
TCBinaflash

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2007-07-28

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 4:59 pm

MichaelAMemphis wrote:
1) With a band you can mess about more - like Elvis did?

2) You can come into a song when you want - I don`t know about you guys but if you miss your cue you are knackered!!!

I.

Micheal i hear what you say but surley you can banter with your backing singers dont need a band to banter with you can always banter with your fans instead.

Also about your cue if you miss it should not be a probelm either if you have a good repore with your crowd then you can make a joke with them and start again just make fun out of missing your cue an audience loves this Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisforeveryone.co.uk
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Don`t get me wrong Mark, I do both of the above.

I think a band can add a little extra, imo.

Also, I would like to perform with a band - perhaps after I have done a few gigs with a band I might change my mind !!!
Back to top Go down
elvisinmemphis
elvisinmemphis

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2007-07-31

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi Michael
Please dont take it I am anti band as I do believe there is a place for them. I do venues up to 5 - 600 without a band and it gives me the freedom that ETA's like Jim White and Liberty Mounten never had.

I can sustain a theatre show without a band which was unheard of only a few years ago, especially with all the risks of hiring a venue and with hotel costs to consider.

I believe a playback show can be more exciting and can even sound better as all bands can vary. By all means try what works but the harsh reality is, that the ETA is usually the last to get paid in a band theatre situation.

To TCB
If that is the situation with the ticket prices I can't argue with you. You know what draw Doug can be. You've been there with him.

Regards Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shawn v Doug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn v Doug   Shawn v Doug Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shawn v Doug
Page 1 of 1