WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.ELVISISINTHEBROWSER.CO.UK

Elvis Impersonators / Elvis Tribute Artist Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is there a time when you should stop?

Go down 
+6
Lorna
KING_MEMPHIS
pauldb38
Sophie
charmainejensenvoisine
Paul Richie
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Is there a time when you should stop? Empty
PostSubject: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:14 am

Is there a time when you should stop being an ETA?
I dont think it should come down to age, I think it comes down to whether you can still give a good tribute.

I read this article of a guy who is 67yrs old and only 2yrs ago became an ETA! He looks great in wig and suit
but is that too old to start? Where do you draw the line?
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com
charmainejensenvoisine
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
charmainejensenvoisine

Number of posts : 2539
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 am

Speaking my own opinion of this and also per discussions I have had with ETA's over the years....

I feel that it should be only when the ETA's themselves feel that the time is there to move on... or whatever their plan is at that moment feels right?

Hugs Charmaine
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:07 am

I have seen one or two ETAs before but a lot on the television and they all seem to be in the late thirties to forties. I thought they were called Elvis impersonators but they are ETA's. Haha.
I think Elvis would have kept touring if his life wasnt cut short in 1977 so why should ETA's not do the same.
However if you are too old I do not think you will give the same illusion.

Shirley.
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2007-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm

I think even if an ETA is still older, they can give a great tribute.
My personal opinion, is maybe it is best, not to wear any Elvis-costume anymore, but a nice outfit (maybe a little showy).
As long as the voice is good, then it is great to hear a good Tribute. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/forjohnnyreel/
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Johnny says:'When you dont have any hair left' lol!
Back to top Go down
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:45 pm

It could have been a couple of the answers - Quit when the act is not as good and you are not enjoying it anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.UKELVIS.CO.UK
Paul Richie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Paul Richie

Number of posts : 288

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 4:15 pm

The time to stop is 100% when your not enjoying it and only doing it for the money
Paul Richie
Back to top Go down
KING_MEMPHIS
Knocking On Gracelands Door
KING_MEMPHIS

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Ouch, Lorney - speaking to me ??? lol!

I've been an ETA for 28 years - longer than Elvis career !
Okay not as glorious; but anyway Smile

I've always said, that I'd stop when the fun disappeared.
I still think it's fun.

Furthermore I ( and my fans ( even my wife)) thinks I am getting better and better over the years - so why .... ?

And I'm sure that when my body / voice tells me it's "not fun" anymore - my fans will also agree with me.

So when to stop is a difficult question. I don't see myself doing Elvis Tribute wearing a nice
non-Elvis-like outfit as Essie suggests.
I'm still judging myself very hard, so when the times come, I'll know - and accept !

When I look in the mirror - it tells me to stop - but my fans doesn't mind the wrinkles - so why should I ?
Did I mention money here ?
No, 'cause it's hopefully not a matter of money; but a matter of the love and respect for the man it's all about !
The moment I think, I'm ridiculous and making a fool out of myself and Elvis - I'll stop !

Let's for a minute turn the question around:" How many guys shouldn't even have started in the business ?"

I do see quite a lot of guys who believe in their own abilities and throw themselves into a foolish ETA-act
though the audience think they are terrible - but haven't got the guts to tell them so !
Those guys are definely not the future; but it ruining the ETA-business.
I believe, it is our duty to tell those no-goods to quit ! How tough as it may seem !!

Sorry - I got carried away on my side-track here - but I still mean every word.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingmemphis.dk
charmainejensenvoisine
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
charmainejensenvoisine

Number of posts : 2539
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:39 am

Shirley1963 wrote:
I have seen one or two ETAs before but a lot on the television and they all seem to be in the late thirties to forties. I thought they were called Elvis impersonators but they are ETA's. Haha.
I think Elvis would have kept touring if his life wasnt cut short in 1977 so why should ETA's not do the same.
However if you are too old I do not think you will give the same illusion.

Shirley.

No pun intended....
I have some ETA friends that are actually in their 60's and they do not get up there to perform to
really create an illusion of Elvis' concerts of the past... least not anymore for him. He continues
to perform to pay tribute to Elvis and to carry on his legacy - even if in a small way by continuing
to sing his music. He and some of my friends that are up around that age say they will continue
to do it as long as they have it in them too. I feel it is totally amazing for them and us!

Hugs Charmaine
Back to top Go down
Sophie
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Sophie

Number of posts : 2545
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 am

Id say...when your past the age Elvis was...that seems fair to me. Sophie.
Back to top Go down
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 am

I think there is an argument to say ETA`s - and I mean geuine ones - have more reason to go on after 42 (I`m not just saying this because I`m 45 btw lol! )

I will share something with you guys here.

Before I go on stage I get real worked up into a frenzy, although I`m not nervious. I actually start to think of Elvis and in my mind I talk to him, ask him to "watch over me"

I have a small photo of Elvis and as the intro music is playing I get the photo out and I always say the same thing out loud, but to myself, which is "You will always be the greatest, this one is for you Sir"

As I`m walking towards the stage I`m thinking of Elvis and, for some reason, I start to think of all of the people I have loved over the years that have left us.

I always feel very emotional when I get on stage - I almost feel possesed!!!

Going back to the `over 42` thing. I suppose in a way I feel like a `disiple`or `preacher`, thats the only way to describe it - I`m spreading the word of Elvis. I`m not trying to do down religion, but it would be like saying that you can`t be a Catholic Priest over the age of 33 (the age I think Jesus was when he died)

Just my personal opinion Wink
Back to top Go down
pauldb38
Admin
Admin
pauldb38

Number of posts : 3782

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:51 am

Mike

I really liked what you put there and very honest of you to, so much show i feel drawn to wanting to see one of your shows you come across as a very sincere man. Keep up the good work.

Paul.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.co.uk
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:00 am

Thank you Paul. I would love to see you and your good lady at one of the shows - perhaps I could persuade u to join me for a song?
Back to top Go down
pauldb38
Admin
Admin
pauldb38

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am

That would be a great honour Mike not only to see your show but also sing a song at your show , thank you so much for that.

I know lorna would be made up to see ya show as well, she'll be the one screaming and chearing btw. She always does bless her but we do love a good show lol.

Paul.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KING_MEMPHIS
KING_MEMPHIS

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Michael, I think as long as you think do a good tribute to Elvis and that he would've been proud of you and you do it out of love and respect for him and to keep his memory alive - and you and your fans enjoy it, I don't see no reason why you should stop ( and as long as you enjoy it ).

I would be proud to sing with you - anytime ! And your girls are just grrrrowwwlll !

Are you coming to Denmark ??????

Or get me a gig in UK and you're on to sing with me, promise ! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lorna
Lorna

Number of posts : 4081

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 am

I think as long as you do a great tribute then it shouldnt come down to age, it comes to quality of a performance.
If it came to those over 42yrs quit their tribute then there would be hundreds if not thousands of Fab ETAs cut from the scene and it would be a real shame. Some of the best are over 50!
Its not like 20-30 years ago when 50/60 was considered old. People are looking a hell of alot better now days and take more care of themselves.
Go for it until you think its time to take a back seat, thats what I say Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.atouchofelvis.com
Elvis in Kent
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Elvis in Kent

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:10 am

As one of (if not the) oldest ETA's on this site I would go along with a lot of what Erling has said.
Age is a factor in this business, of course, but as long as you can minimize that with your performance, your costumes, your voice, your stage presence then, in my experience, your audience will not even consider your age.
When to give up? that is a tricky one.
There is no doubt that if you can keep yourself in reasonably good shape, your voice, I think, gets stronger as you get older, and once you put on a professionally made wig and jumpsuit then you are still able to perform a good tribute to Elvis.
Remember, throughout a good deal of the concert years Elvis was not always in the best of health. That said, he still managed to perform his concerts almost night after night - he just adjusted his performance as his health deteriorated. So as you get older, you simply adjust your performance, maybe less emphasis on the moves and more on the personality and voice.
So maybe when I have to go on stage with the help of a zimmer frame....it will be time to think about giving up!
Lastly, a good point, Erling, about the damage that some 'wanabees' do - those guys that should never have started. I hear it all the time from audiences "Well, we wasn't going to come tonight as we went to see an Elvis impersonator at (wherever) a few weeks ago and he was awful!" These are the guys that are doing more harm to our reputation than us 'older' guys.
Power to the veterans!
Neil J Duncan
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisinthebuilding.com
pauldb38
Admin
Admin
pauldb38

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 am

Neil i know you are very old affraid but i for one would say you should never give up until its time to go. You are a great tribute and a great guy a credit to the ETA world and a valued member of this forum. I'm such a fan i'm willing to wheel you out on stage mate no worries affraid affraid

Paul.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:27 am

You are right Neil, i have seen some ETA's that dont deserve the title of beeing an ETA, it was more like a monkey act, jumping around the stage... Evil or Very Mad
As long as the voice holds up, and like you wrote, just adjust some, then you can keep on doing youre Tribute. cheers
I dont think you are that old, Neil.
An ETA will know when it is time to stop.
To bad nobody told Frank Sinatra that he had to stop, i feld sorry for him, when i seen him do his last performens, he realy dint sound good.
Then it is most defenetly time to stop.
Back to top Go down
KING_MEMPHIS
KING_MEMPHIS

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 5:06 pm

Well, Neil I think you are veeeerrry old. I'd gladly help Paul to wheel you off the stage lol! lol! lol!

No, I saw you perform in Blackpool in 2004 and there NOTHING in your act that indicates that you ought to stop ! I was quite impressed ! Goosebumps from "Bridge over troubled water" - thank you for that !
Like the saying goes: "The older the violin - the sweeter the music".
Old-timers must stick together ! Very Happy

I feel that I haven't been better than now - you'll probably agree - eerh on your own behalf Smile
Okay, the physical shape is not like is used to; but the voice and the act is getting more mature and better. I still believe that Elvis would be proud of my tribute - and the audience tells me too. What more can you ask ?

Thanks for your opinion on the "wannabees" !

The tall "Elvis" from Denmark
Back to top Go down
mikenova
mikenova

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

the day i give up is when the 'buzz' fades and it starts to affect my act...or the day i end up looking like mike memphis......whatever happens first elephant
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisreturns.co.uk
mikenova
mikenova

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

sorry mike...love ya really xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisreturns.co.uk
MichaelAMemphis
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
MichaelAMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 am

mikenova wrote:
the day i give up is when the 'buzz' fades and it starts to affect my act...or the day i end up looking like mike memphis......whatever happens first elephant

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Elvis in Kent
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
Elvis in Kent

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 pm

And it's me birthday on Saturday - so yet another bloody year!
Thank you Paul and Erling for your very kind words (I think!)
I guess I'm still good for a few more years and it still gives me a buzz every time I go out to face an audience.
All you youngsters out there - make the most of it - time waits for nobody!
Better go - cocoa time!
Neil J Duncan
Back to top Go down
http://www.elvisinthebuilding.com
eselvisfan
Jaming With Elvis
Jaming With Elvis
eselvisfan

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 pm

You keep on Rocking, Neil!!!
You sure do a good job! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there a time when you should stop?   Is there a time when you should stop? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there a time when you should stop?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next